How it works
- La Semilla offers an annual introduction seminar to small-scale agricultural producers. Because of our develoment focus and strategies, we want producers to understand who we are, why we do what we do, and give some basic training in finances and business ethics. We need to recognize those producers who WANT to make a change in their lives and in their production practices.
- Each qualified producer is assigned a La Semilla agronomist to coach them in implementing a suite of sustainable agriculture practices which help improve their yields and incomes. Through the relationship with their agronomist, each producer is taught and encouraged about Biblical values and their practical application in daily life.
- Each eligible producer receives a technical package of inputs (seed, fertilizer, crop protection products) and in-field agronomy support for managing their crops.
- When certain conditions are met, the financing for these inputs are covered through La Semilla micro-financing (which is secured by a production contract) or paid for in cash, if the producer does not meet financing requirements.
- Our programs build on the existing assets in rural Nicaragua: local farming knowledge, land base, ready market, favourable climate. La Semilla also supports them by providing
- Agronomy assistance
- Quality seed
- Mechanical planting & harvesting services
- Reliable markets
- training workshops
- financial management tools
- life-skills training
- Each producer has the option to clean and deliver their commodity to the ministry warehouse, where it is assessed for quality and received into inventory.
- After deducting any outstanding financing, the producer is paid a fair market value for the balance of delivery. Through its network of contacts, La Semilla works hard to secure the best possible market price for each sack of grain.
Sustainable Agriculture in terms of types of services provided:
The above services are widely available to producers in the SW of Nicaragua. A complete technical package is available on credit to qualified producers.
Ways in which you can donate to the work of La Semilla
- Sponsor the crop input costs for an acre of beans:
- 1 acre @ $260.00 CDN
- 10acres @ $260.00CDN = $2600.00
- 30acres @ $260.00CDN = $7800.00
- Perhaps you’d consider to give toward operational expenses?:
- sponsor an employee – Agronomist’s wages are $770.00/month
- Labourer positions are $550.00/month
- contribute a month’s worth of program delivery expenses: $11,000 CDN